Thursday, August 08, 2013

Doctor Who Middle-Age Madness

At last the BBC announced the next actor to portray the Doctor on science fiction television's longest running series, Doctor Who. It's Peter Capaldi. Yeah!


 I'm thrilled because I think Peter will be excellent in the role. He starred in the David Tennant/Catherine Tate 2008 episode "The Fires of Pompeii". He also played quite a spine-chilling baddie in the spin-off series Torchwood in its "Children of Earth" episodes. I've loved him from the first time I saw him on screen in the wonderfully warm and witty movie comedy Local Hero. What's not to love about an actor who can play heroic, comical and pure evil characters with equal ease?

 

I think the persona of the Doctor needs a good balance of heroic and not-so-heroic traits. After all, he is an alien--he's not human (according to canon). What we puny humans may see as "evil" may not seem that way to him and vice versa. It makes for a very dynamic character, one that is at times unpredictable and at others dependable. It makes for a character that has been extremely popular for a half century now and shows no signs of diminishing in popularity.  

This brings me to the reason behind my blog post title. I really enjoy the idea of watching another "middle-age" Doctor (who, of course, is much older than he looks).  While the current producers may have thought that young people would only watch the show in record numbers with "one of their own" in twenty-something Matt Smith playing the title role, I do believe they've come to realize that it's not the age of the actor that matters but his energy level. I think Peter will have the right energy level in addition to the handsome, distinguished looks that women in  my particular age group will relate to well.

As the old saying goes, "Snow on the roof doesn't mean there isn't a fire in the hearth." ;-)



What does this mean for my ongoing Doctor Who-inspired series Loving Who (and its sequel Leaving Who)? The next title in the series that I'm working on is Losing Who. In a way Peter Capaldi becoming the new Doctor works into the plot outline quite well. Things change. My character Cici Connors experienced an abrupt change in the last installment, so a new face to confront and get to know is just par for the course at this point in her life journey. 

And who knows... Cici might find a good-looking man of a certain age worth getting to know better. ;-)



I'm looking forward to the fiftieth anniversary special coming in November and the Christmas special when Peter's Doctor will make his debut. How about you? Are you excited? Has Doctor Who "middle-age madness" taken hold of you? Or are you still crying about Matt Smith (or David Tennant or Christopher Eccleston or...) leaving the show? What sort of storylines or characters do you envision in the new season episodes? Are there any mortal enemies of the Doctor you'd rather not see?

Let me know your feelings in the comments below. You never know-I might just use one of your ideas in the plot of Losing Who!




5 comments :

A J said...

Great news! I've always liked Peter Capaldi as an actor. I think it's about time we had someone who'll bring more maturity to the role.

Cynthianna said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Cynthianna said...

Maturity" or just plain ol' fashion distinguished good-looks and great acting abilities?

My greatest fear is that they stick Peter with some poorly written scripts like Matt Smith's Doctor got stuck with... Not even the greatest of actors can save a show with weak writing.

Anonymous said...

Nice article. I share your enthusiasm for Capaldi's casting and can't wait to see the 12th Doctor in action. However, I just hope Moffat's writing is up to it; because as cynical as this sounds, on the evidence of the last few years, it clearly isn't. Lets hope PC's arrival will usher in a more mature, thoughtful and restrained style of storytelling.

Cynthianna said...

Thanks, Anon., for your comments. I'm with you--I'm hoping for tighter plotting and well-thought-out scripts for Peter's Doctor, whoever pens them. Some of the more incoherent stories in recent years had me pining for the good ol' days of decent storytelling last seen in the 60s and 70s DW episodes. Fingers crossed!

google-site-verification: googlec9fe367ac800d499.html