Monday, April 23, 2012

And I ain't goin' to promo no more! Hallelujah!


I've pretty much had enough. I've had enough of this idea that somehow writers are suppose to be their own P.R. company on top of everything else. That's why as of today, I'm giving up... Giving up being a "promotion whore" because, frankly, I suck at it and it's no fun.

You will still see me around at the various social media sites, as this is the only way I seem to communicate with friends and family these days, but I will not be promoting my writing. Uh-uh, not at all. I will strictly be myself (whomever she may be). Anything I say or do will be coming out of the mouth of Cindy A. Matthews and not my writing personas (including the one with that very same name).

This should please my publishers to no end, as everyone is saying we authors should be "pleasant, kind, entertaining and, above all else, NONCONTROVERSIAL in our bloggings and twitterings." Okay, now that I'm myself (and not a writing persona) I can freely express how I feel: 

I'm fed up with nonexistent sales and the millions of free ebooks giveways for the Kindle lately. Since I am giving up the promotion business, I will longer be in the vicinity of all these other authors' promotions, and, hence, my blood pressure will drop. I will be blissfully unaware of how lousy I'm doing promo-wise, and I will rejoice in my ignorance of all things of a promotional nature.

If you have had similar ideas of going "no-promo" or are a reader who is tired of endless authors sending out endless tweets, emails, Facebook postings, blogs, press releases, etc., touting their next free ebook giveaway for the Kindle (the majority which seem to come from the "indies" or self-published and not the professionally published), feel free to vent in my comment box below.

Now, what will I be able to do with all this "free time" I'll have on my hands? Should I actually... don't say it... WRITE?

2 comments :

A J said...

I'm inclined to agree, promo these days is a waste of time. We're but voices drowned out by the gale of self-published "authors" spawned by Hocking's success. I write now because I like to write. I'll still submit stories to publishers, but in no expectations of actually making any real money from my endeavors. Ars Gratia Artis.

Cindy said...

Art for art's sake... Yeah, it's a tough pill to swallow when the rest of the world determines your worth as a human being by the number of buckolas you have in the bank. Oh, well, at least now I can say all sorts of CONTROVERSIAL things like how much I hate promoting my books until I feel like an unpaid hooker. Possibly my self-esteem will rise and this will lead to better writing and sales. One can only hope.

But of course, there's still those millions of free "indie" books out there for the reading public to devour. Why do they have to purchase a book when they can get them for free? (Thanks a lot to whomever came up with that scam!)

google-site-verification: googlec9fe367ac800d499.html